State Archive in Siedlce
st. Kosciuszko 7
Tel: (+48) 25 632-25-74
the research /reading room
Open: Monday - Wednesday to Friday. 8.30-15.00, Thursday 11.45-17.45;
The State Archive in Siedlce informs, that because of the renovation inside of the building the Reading Room will be closed in July 2017
Persons interested in submitting an application for the order of searching, please send the application form to the address firstname.lastname@example.org
The revers is also available in electronic version on www.siedlce.ap.gov.pl
You can reprography (photocopies, scans).
library : Dictionaries, encyclopedias, publications on history, archive management, law and administration,regional and local press. Total 7500 volumes. Collections available for users of the scientific laboratory without outside borrowing.
Brief history of archives
a) the year of creation of archive: 1950;
- b) the previous name of the archive:
In 1950 Oddział Powiatowy in Siedlce subordinate to Archiwum Akt Nowych in Warsaw came into being., since 1951 to 1964 was functioning as
Powiatowe Archiwum Państwowe in Siedlce. Since 1953 this archive was subordinate to Wojewódzkie Archiwum Państwowe in Warsaw. In the period 1964 –1976 it was a branch of Archiwum Państwowe miasta Stołecznego Warszawy and was called Oddział Terenowy.
In 1975 as a result of a general change of territorial division of the country, Siedlce became a capital of the newly – born voivodeship. A year later “Oddział Terenowy” was changed into Wojewódzkie Archiwum Państwowe w Siedlcach. In 1983 another change brought a contemporary name: Archiwum Państwowe w Siedlcach [The State Archive in Siedlce]
The current area of activity:
Lublin province- districts : Łuków, Ryki ( Kłoczew community); Mazowsze prowince-districts : Siedlce, Garwolin, Sokołów Podlaski, Węgrów, Mińsk Mazowiecki ( communitires: Cegłów, Dębe Wielkie, Dobre, Jakubów, Kałuszyn, Latowicz, Mrozy, Siennica, Stanisławów; district Otwock ( communities : Kołbiel, Osieck, Sobienie Jeziory); district Wołomin ( communities :J adów, Pośwętne, Strachówka)
Archival resources in the State Archive in Siedlce
Chronological span: 1604 – 2013;
1939 archival funds;
4011,03 running meters;
562228 archival units. (The data actual for 31 Dec. 2016)
Collections of archival resources in the State Archive in Siedlce come mainly from the 19th and 20th centuries.
There are very few Old-Polish documents: two King’s privileges (1746), some remains of manor documents which previously belonged to the family archives of the Kuczyński, the Czartoryski, the Wierzejski and the Szenejko families from Podlasie and Łuków region; some documents coming from the Sarnów land property (they are connected with genealogical and property matters) and some municipal books of records from the town Mordy (1651 – 1652).
The most interesting group of documents was created during the partition. These are funds left after Siedlecki Gubernialny Zarząd Żandarmerii (1876 – 1914 [Military Police of Gubernia in Siedlce] and its subordinate military police authorities in districts in Siedlce, Sokołów Podlaski and Węgrów (1900 – 1915).
The records in the State Archive in Siedlce can be divided into five main groups.
1) Documents of lower and higher law courts from the period 1865 – 1998. The most numerous is Sąd Okręgowy w Siedlcach [The Province Court] and courts of conciliation from various districts of Gubernia in Siedlce, municipal courts, district courts and public prosecutor’s offices. This records can give full perspective into social conflicts, their character and range.
2) Land records from the period 1810 – 2001 include 15.319 archival units. They are mainly mortgage books, each of them concerning to a particular land property. They come from land registries in Garwolin, Łuków, Mińsk Mazowiecki, Siedlce, Sokołów Podlaski and Węgrów and cover the territory of previous Województwo Podlaskie [Podlasie Province], created in 1815. The files present the financial state of land properties, sometimes they contain detailed descritptions of manor belongings, borders and maps.
3) Notary records of various notary’s offices from the period 1810 – 1951 contain notarial deeds connected to sales contracts, agreements, last wills, premaritals. Their territorial range covers districts in Garwolin, Łuków, Siedlce, Sokołów Podlaski and Węgrów.
4) Civil state records are the most numerous group among the archival collections. They present 210 parishes or religious communities living in the territory of the Siedlce gubernia and span the years 1810 – 1909. Initially (1810 – 1825) civil state records were kept and stored by local governments, then since 1826 they were kept by parishes. The State Archive in Siedlce possesses records from:
101 Roman – Catholic parishes; 23 Jewish communities; 14 Greek – Catholic parishes (1826 – 1875); 12 Orthodox parishes (1837 – 1909);
2 Evangelical parishes (1832 – 1909); 3 Mariawit parishes ;1 Protestant parish.
The books contain births, marriages and deaths records which make the basic resource for genealogical research.
5) About 30 % of the archival collections come from administrative bodies of various ranks (city councils, local governments and self – governments, district authorities, province authorities) and various districts: Łuków, Garwolin, Mińsk Mazowiecki, Siedlce, Sokołów Podlaski and Węgrów and span the period 1804 – 1998. These funds present almost all fields of social, political, economical and cultural activity in our region. Unfortunately the documents before 1945 are not numerous, but collections after 1945 are exhaustive.
Documents from the Second World War are exceptionally scanty. The most meaningful of them is the collection of announcements issued by German police in Warsaw and Lublin and concerned with the inhabitants of Siedlce, Sokołów, Węgrów and Łuków districts.
Among the documents of financial institutions Towarzystwo Kredytowe Miejskie [Municipal Credit Association] 1899 – 1914 is worth of attention. Its territorial span reached even Pińsk and Brześć on the Bug (they belong to Belarus now), across Podlasie to south Mazowsze. The documents in this fund are connected mainly to housing loans.
Collections inherited from Komitet Wojewódzki Polskiej Zjednoczonej Partiii Robotniczej [Polish United Workers Party – Voivodeship Committee] (1949 – 1989) contain numerous smaller groups of documents of local party’s committiees. This is one of the biggest collections, it covers about 20 % of all records in the Siedlce archive.
The Archive possesses also documents from institutions of economical character, mainly from the period of Województwo Siedleckie [Siedlce Province/Voivodeship] (1975 – 1998). Statistical data can be found in them, informing about employment and production in the voivodeship.
Our collection of old postcards and photographs is worth of attention. The old postcards show Siedlce in the turn of 19th and 20th centuries, buildings which do not exist now, historical monuments and present the ways the city has changed. In the photographs prominent people, important events, industrial object and housing estates are commemorated.
The cartographic collections contains maps of granges (1826 – 1924)from the Siedlce district. (Another collection of that kind is included in mortgage books). The plans show not only manor houses, parks and gardens, grange buildings, but also point kinds of agricultural cultivations and their acreage. Another important collection here are “Maps of Siedlce” prepared and made before the Second World War by the geodesist named Wejchert. They show the urban development between the world wars and many non-existing buildings.
It is noticeable that the significant part of documents produced in Siedlce institutions within the last two centuries is now kept in the State Archive in Lublin. The most valuable among them are: Urząd Cyrkularny Siedlecki (1797 – 1809) which covers documents from the period of Austrian partition on the territory of Siedlce; Prefektura Departamentu Siedleckiego [Prosecutor’s Office] (1810 –1814) and Komisja Województwa Podlaskiego [the Government of Podlasie Province] (1816 – 1837) present Siedlce in the times of the Warsaw Duchy and the Kingdom of Poland. In the Lublin Archive many funds from the period of functioning gubernia in Siedlce are kept, such as Rząd Gubernialny Podlaski [Government of Gubernia in Siedlce] (1837 – 1844), then Rząd Gubernialny Siedlcecki (1867 – 1912) and Kancelaria Gubernatora Siedleckiego [Governor’s Office in Siedlce] (1866-1913), Urząd Gubernialny Siedlecki do Spraw Stowarzyszeń [Gubernia Office on Controlling the Associations] (1906-1915).
Due to numerous changes in territorial and administrative divisions and changes in territorial range of the Siedlce archive as well, many documents are stored in other archives:
- the State Archive in Lublin – the Branch in Radzyń Podlaski possesses the files from district in Łuków;
- the State Archive in Warsaw – the Branch in Otwock possesses the files from districts in Garwolin and Mińsk Mazowiecki.
The History of the State Archive in Siedlce
Archival traditions in Siedlce refer to the Old – Polish period. In the 18th century the possessors of Siedlce had their private archive. After the heirless death of Princess Alexandra Ogińska (nee Czartoryska), the last owner of Siedlce, in 1798, her private archival collection was included into the general archive of the Czartoryski family in Oleszyce near Lubaczów. A part of this collection is now stored in the National Museum in Cracow.
In the 19th century there was a city archive in the city hall, but its collections were destroyed during frequent fires of the city, and finally, in September 1939, the remains of that collections were completely burnt during the German bombing.
But long before that disaster happened, in 1830, Archiwum Akt Dawnych [the Archive of Ancient Documents], as a department of Trybunał Cywilny [Civil Judge Court] in Siedlce had come to existence. It survived till the 80s of the 19th century and was closed within the years 1881 – 1887. Its collections were sent to Archiwum Główne Akt Dawnych [General Archive of Ancient Records] in Warsaw.
In 1915 when Russian authorities and offices were being evacuated from Poland to Russia, some parts of Siedlce collections were taken away to Russia, too. In 1964 the funds of Siedlecki Gubernialny Zarząd Żandarmerii [Military Police of Gubernia in Siedlce] and Zarządy Powiatowe Żandarmerii [Military Police in Districts of Gubernia in Siedlce] were regained by the Siedlce Archive.
After the fall of empires which took part in the partition of Poland, in 1917-1918 Dr Józef Szaruga was called to the post of “movable archivist” – it was the initiative of Akademia Umiejętności [Scientific Society] in Cracow. Travelling around the country he found and took to Lublin the documents from the governor’s office in Siedlce and from other Russian already non – existing offices.
Between the World Wars district in Siedlce, together with districts in Garwolin, Łosice, Łuków, Sokołów Podlaski and Węgrów belonged to the Lublin Province (or voivodeship) and their archival materials were stored in the State Archive in Lublin.
In 1950 Oddział Powiatowy in Siedlce subordinate to Archiwum Akt Nowych in Warsaw came into being., since 1951 to 1964 was functioning as Powiatowe Archiwum Państwowe in Siedlce. Since 1953 this archive was subordinate to Wojewódzkie Archiwum Państwowe in Warsaw. In the period 1964 –1976 it was a branch of Archiwum Państwowe miasta Stołecznego Warszawy and was called Oddział Terenowy.
In 1975 as a result of a general change of territorial division of the country, Siedlce became a capital of the newly – born voivodeship. A year later “Oddział Terenowy” was changed into Wojewódzkie Archiwum Państwowe w Siedlcach. In 1983 another change brought a contemporary name: Archiwum Państwowe w Siedlcach [The State Archive in Siedlce].
The territorial range has been changed within those years many times as well. Powiatowe ArchiwumPaństwowe started in 1950 with three districts: Siedlce, Sokołów Podlaski and Węgrów and since 1956 another district was added: Łosice. Then – in the period 1965 – 1975 two other districts were attached: Ostrów Mazowiecka and Ostrołęka.
In 1976 the Siedlce Archive took over the Powiatowe Archiwum in Łuków [District Archive] which since then started as “Ekspozytura” [branch] in Łuków. In 1996 “Ekspozytura” was closed and its collections joined resources stored in Siedlce.
After 1996 records of provenience of other territories were sent to convenient state archives: collections from Łosice District were transferred to the Radzyń Podlaski Branch of the Lublin State Archive; collections from Districts in Ostrów Mazowiecka and Ostrołęka were sent to the Pułtusk Branch of the State Archive in Warsaw.
|Podmiot udostępniający informację:|
|Osoba sporządzająca dokument:|
|Osoba wprowadzająca dokument:|